Wednesday 6 January 2010

Here it comes!

This was taken at about 2.00pm yesterday and it started in earnest, but mercifully calmed down quite a bit and we only had a modest covering.
This is our resident 'stripey' blackbird looking for something tasty............

......... and a smaller visitor came past the backdoor - I wonder if it was the pied wagtail?


Things got serious during the night and this morning we woke up to about 4 or 5 inches of snow. We have Poppy staying with us at present and she was having to leap about in it - it was way past her knees. She can't understand why snowballs don't behave like tennis balls!

I can't remember the last time I made a snowman but there's not much else you can do with the stuff. While I was indoors changing my shoes and thawing my fingers, my husband got busy providing him with a little companion.
.
I have taken several photos of snow laden branches but thought that, lovely as they are, maybe you were all getting sick of the stuff, so decided not to post them. Keep warm and safe, and as they used to say during WW2 - 'Is your journey really necessary'.



12 comments:

Ann Christy said...

Looks like you have been having fun Heather - building a snowman!

Maggi said...

Lovely photos Heather. I though about making a snowman as a way of clearing the drive but it wouldn't hold together so had to get the shovel out. It snowed again just as I had finished.

Totalfeckineejit said...

LOve thesnowdog! We is having the same blizzard here now.

Robin Mac said...

I would love a bit of yor snow right now - we are sweltering in 32 degree (C) heat with very high humidity, not pleasant at all. I love seeing all the snow pictures on the blogs, but the reality could be rather different! Keep warm and safe. Cheers, Robin

Carol Q said...

love your photos Heather and am very impressed that you made a snowman! (and snowdog) As the only person who made it to school/work in my house this morning I am definitely fed up with the stuff LOL

Heather said...

You should have cheated Maggi, like me, I just made a big snowball and rolled it around till it got much bigger. The dog is good isn't he, TFE? Hope you'll soon be cooler Robin and I hope you got a gold star for getting in to work/school today Carol. Snow and ice may look beautiful but they do make life difficult.

Julie said...

What an admirable snowman and small friend Heather! You must have had a great time :o) Thank you for your get well wishes on my blog.

Downunderdale said...

glorious Heather - looks like you have been having fun! Certainly nothing like that here 'Cheers
Dale

JustJules said...

Lovely post, Mum!! I love the snowman & dog, and I'm sure The 'P' had a wonderful time staying with you - she's had marvellous fun today digging for tennis balls and skidding about on the path!
Hope it stays awhile, but not too slippery!

BT said...

Oh more snow! You really are getting it, aren't you? I love your snowman and his companion - wonderful. Jack made a snow penguin a while back.

You should post some photos - I, for one, would love to see them. Dogs are funny with the snow aren't they? They can't make it out. Buster hasn't had any real amount yet.

Keep warm.

chrissythreads said...

Love the 'snow dog'. That's just what my little one looks like at the moment when he comes in from a walk!

Val said...

Love all your snow pictures Heather - particularly the ice patterns, and the flower formed at the top of the hose is amazing!