Monday 18 January 2010

Taking a Breather!

I'm just taking a break between moving various things back into the spare bedroom after having it decorated. No time for pics today but hope to have a Christmas Rose - Helleborus Niger - to show you tomorrow.
.
There is a growing pile of boxes in the hall under the stairs for my husband to take to the charity shop and I just hope he doesn't want to go through them to see what I am throwing out and thus weaken my resolve to get rid of stuff! None of it belongs to him, I hasten to add.
.
I think I have made a belated New Year Resolution! I get so much enjoyment from reading other people's blogs and seeing the lovely pieces of work they do and I want to try every technique myself. This is impossible, there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to do that, or find room for even more materials and media. So I have resolved to carry on enjoying looking at the work of others but buckle to and work in my own way . I've always been aware of having a 'butterfly' approach to textiles but there is so much to learn and always new things to try out. I shall still use techniques discovered by others of course, but maybe at last I am ready to settle down and follow my own path. It's taken me long enough - I don't know about being old and wise, some of us are just old!! Perhaps as I declutter parts of our house, I am decluttering my brain too - I do hope so.

14 comments:

Ann Christy said...

I wish you luck in decluttering Heather and in buckling down to concentrate on your own work - I wish I could do the same. I started to sort my workroom last week and emptied half of the contents into my son (who lives in London)'s bedrooom and there it has all stayed - all over the bed. I had an email form him this morning he is coming home tonight and needs a bed as he has a meeting in Manchester tomorrow - so all the mess will have to go back into my workroom and I will have to start all over again next week - that will learn me won't me!!!

Maggi said...

Good luck with your de-cluttering. I see taking classes and learning new techniques as tools to draw on as a way to discover what you really want to do. I look forward to seeing you find your own voice.

Anonymous said...

You have spurred me on to have a bit of a tidy up too. I too tend to flit about between projects and end up with a pile of unfinished pieces. Love looking through your blog and look forward to your new creations!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Heather - I could have written this post, I am just the same. Each time I see a technique or see somebody's work I want to do it and it means that my brain is in a constant whirl; Glad I am not on my own and I shall follow your lead.

Doreen G said...

You are definitely not on your own Heather--I see new things -I buy the stuff to do it-I realise that it's not for me--I have added more clutter to the pile.
I have also decided not to try every new project that comes around and concentrate on what I have to finish--especially classes that I signed up for and didn't finish.

Penny said...

I am with Doreen on this, far too many things and no real time, or sometimes inclination, but I couldnt possbly de cluteg, I might need it!

Nellie's Needles said...

Well, I've enjoyed your forays and enthusiasm into various techniques since I've found your blog. Thank you.

However, I understand about the distraction of trying something new as well as a bit of panic about being/getting "old". Aargh! What am I doing browsing online? I should be working! But if I didn't check out the doings and thoughts of my cyber friends, I'd feel isolated and missing something. Balance. That's got key, But how oh how to find it.

diane.ca said...

Good for you following your own path. I identified with what you were writing and I find I am the same. I flit from one thing to the next enjoying it all. I'll look forward to see what you fined along your path.

BT said...

Oh I know just how you feel Heather. I'm a sucker for buying books from Amazon on new things, my latest one is on dolls! I'll never have time to make them. I should do as you are doing and stick to what I know.

It's great to have a good clear out isn't it? Sadly Jim is a terrible hoarder so it's hard for me. I've become less so as I've got older.

Looking forward to the photo tomorrow. xxxx

Linda Vincent said...

Hi Heather.....I just wanted to say thank you for your kindness; I really appreciate your comments.
Love Linda
PS Be happy on your own special 'pathway'. x

Julie said...

Good for you Heather! Your post could have been written for me too. I have done a lot of flitting from technique to technique and am only now beginning to have an idea of what I really want to do. The computer and blogs are always a distraction, however welcome, that I need to control (or reduce!) You are never old when you are playing!

Heather said...

Thankyou everyone for your comments and encouragement. It sounds as if I am in good company!

Maureen said...

I hope your OH takes the charity boxes before you change your mind!!I do know what you mean about seeing others work and wanting to do it - I think it's a 'syndrome' we all suffer from.

Twiglet said...

Just found your blog - love all your birds! Green woodpecker - lucky you! There are a few srtipey blackbirds about - I wonder why. Will be back to look at your textiles again.