Wednesday 2 February 2011

Faint stirrings of creativity?

Do you remember the hank of sari ribbon I posted about? I unwound it and separated each colour from the next, cutting off the bits where they were stitched together. They made such a colourful heap that I can't throw them away, and will have to find a use for them.
Even the unravelled threads are lovely - I've saved those too.
This is what the strips look like before being ironed - not very inspiring...............


.................... but when the iron has done it's job they take on new character. It takes quite a while and does get tedious, but it is very rewarding.

The average length of each strip is about 1 yard and their widths range from about half and inch to one and a half inches.

The colours are simply stunning and I can see two or three projects coming from this one hank.

I shall spend ages arranging and re-arranging the colours before I can start work. I love the ragged fringed edges they have and plan to bond some to a background fabric so that the edges overlap, then add hand and machine stitching. Lots to think about.





11 comments:

Annie said...

The last time I bought some sari ribbons just like that I arranged them into a rainbow of colours....soooo pretty :-)
A x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Wonderful, Heather. Isn't it marvellous when you suddenly get an inspired creative idea. Look forward to seeing the results.

Carol Q said...

oooh, like the look of those Heather and your ideas. can't wait to see what you do.

Ro Bruhn said...

Sari silks are one of my favorite materials. I use them in just about everything. The cut off ends and threads are great to use in needle felting.

Unknown said...

Thanks Heather :)
Love the Sari ribbon, look forward to seeing what you do with them

Doreen G said...

Now that's my kind of ironing Heather.

Gina said...

I've done that job of ironing my sari ribbons. Very tedious but worth it. Look forward to seeing what you do with them Heather.

JustJules said...

This post is so easy on the eye, Mum! Beautiful colours - I can't wait to see what they'll become....:-)

Robin Mac said...

Aren't sari ribbons just gorgeous - I have used them for all sorts of work, look forward to seeing what you do. thanks for thinking about us with the cyclone, would you believe there are both floods and bushfires happening in Victoria and now Yasi is going to bring more heavy rain down there - can't take a trick this summer! Cheers.

Maggi said...

Inspirational.

Heather Woollove said...

I love how the sari silk ribbon project came out in your later post...but I have to admit that I would rather jump off a bridge than face a basketfull of ironing like this! :)
You are made of tough stuff, Missy!