Friday 1 April 2011

This and That.

I am still in the doldrums when it comes to creating something original but thank goodness for people like Janet Edmonds and her book 'Embroidered Boxes'. I made something similar for our eldest daughter when she was 50 a couple of years ago. This one is for our daughter-in-law who is like another daughter to us, and her 50th birthday is later this year. I have only to sew up the sides and make a fastening of some kind and the box is done. It doesn't look much like a box yet - the plain section is the base; the far section is the front; the two 'arms' are the sides, and the bit nearest the front will become the back and lid. The texture comes from small pieces of lace oddments embedded into vilene with gesso, then sprayed with inks. I did 'scribble' all over the lace pieces with the sewing machine to make sure they were all safely fixed. I couldn't get the colour I was aiming for so overpainted with Stewart Gill metallic copper paint.
This is a close up of the lid section. I may rub a little gilding wax over the surface to finish it. I can't give someone an empty box so am fitting it out as a sewing box. Below is the top section of the pin cushion - thank goodness for Sue Hawkins too. This is being made from her instructions in issue No.60 of Stitch magazine - Aug.Sept.2009. It is a biscornu pincushion which has a fascinating irregular shape achieved by joining the corners of the top square to the centres of the bottom one. I'll post a pic. when I've done it.


Ignore the blue canvas - I found this piece left over from another project and it was just the right size. None of the blue will be visible when the pincushion is completed. I should have put the canvas into a frame to work it but as it is such a small design it should be fine with a gentle pressing on the wrong side and pulling into shape. I will also be making a needlecase and scissors case.



As Easter is fast approaching I thought I would at last do something with the bag of polystyrene eggs I have had for years. I covered each one with scrunched up tissue paper then painted them with Stewart Gill metallic paints. (I've had those for ages too and some were in danger of drying out so I thought I'd use them before it was too late). I decorated them with flower shapes cut with a paper punch, then added sequins to the centres. Finally I added dots of Stickles which are little squeezy pots of twinkly colour - I had a selection for my birthday and wanted to try them out. Do they need a narrow organza ribbon hanging loop?


I could have made a better arrangement of my eggs but was too impatient to wait for the Stickles to dry - they take ages, probably overnight - and I didn't dare try to move them. I don't think Faberge will be taking me to court, but making them was good fun.

17 comments:

The Bug said...

Ooh - can't wait to see a picture of the completed box!

Elizabeth said...

I'm sure Faberge would be jealous!
and your daughter in law will LOVE the box

Gina said...

The sewing box is going to make a lovely gift Heather.

Carol Q said...

oh Heather, your box is going to be stunning (I remember the previous one), gorgeous colours on the stitching and what fun eggs. I've been copying you without realising until I looked at your blog again the other day and have nearly made a book cover out of sari ribbon. fab fun and gorgeous coloured stuff.

Jackie said...

Lovely work Heather. I really appreciate your lovely comment on my blog. Thank you.

Lyn said...

You have been busy. Our juniors are doing a decorated egg competition I can see a few nicking your idea!
love
Lyn
xxx

Ro Bruhn said...

Love the box and the eggs are gorgeous.

Elizabeth said...

What a gorgeous box this is going to be! And I love Sue Hawkins' designs, have thought about making that biscornu for quite a while. Also, I adore your eggs, someone will be very lucky!

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a gorgeous box and the eggs are beautiful too,

Helen said...

these are lovely! and my aren't you organised. I haven't even thought of easter yet, lol!

Totalfeckineejit said...

It's amazing the things you can make Heather. Such a talent and how lucky are those people to get them as presents?!
Can't decide if the eggs need loops though.Have you tried to see?

Bekah said...

Following you via The Bug. Cool stuff here!

Maureen said...

Love the 'box' and those eggs look really good, I've just given a pack away and now wish I hadn't. Yes the ankle is raised, I know when to give in!!

Heather said...

Glad you all like the box and eggs. No TFE, I haven't tried to see what a ribbon loop will look like and am still undecided - I can be such a ditherer sometimes.

Anonymous said...

The box is looking gorgeous Heather. I love what you have done with the eggs too.

Val said...

Wow I love your daughter-in-law's lacy box - bet she will too! Lovely to meet you on Facebook - how is it going - linked up with many others yet? Thanks for dropping by!

WendyK said...

I love the box for your daughter in law, she will love it. If she doesn't, you have my address.