Saturday 20 August 2011

Monoprinting 2.

Very mixed results again. Inspite of choosing what I thought was a feathery leaf for the sample on the left, it has come out as a solid shape as have both the others. Tansy leaf on the left and Alchemilla mollis bottom right, and can't remember top right!

Printing them again using their reverse sides has given a much more interesting result and I quite like these.


This leaf has a more interesting shape but I still like the reverse print best. The leaf is from a Japanese Anemone.

I didn't bother to clean off the roller each time and so some paint was applied to the back of the sheets picking up echoes of the leaf shapes and giving a sort of collage effect. I rather like it. Two for the price of one and if you don't like the main print, the other side of the paper might give a better result.


Another 'back of the paper' print.

.

I have just signed up for an online course with Distant Stitch and will be starting work on 1st September on the Creative Sketchbook course. These prints will come in handy later on in the course when I have to produce work on a designated theme - as long as I choose leaves, of course.










11 comments:

Maggi said...

Some really lovely results Heather. If you have one of those very feathery Acers they work extremely well for this technique. I am sure that you are really going to enjoy your course.

Ann Christy said...

Hi Heather I really like the back of the paper prints the best. They have a lot of depth to them.

Carol Q said...

haven't those backsides come out well Heather. congrats on signing up for the sketchbooks course. I am most envious. one day....

Heather said...

I have really jumped in at the deep end with the course. I thought it would be good to improve my artistic skills, but I will also have to rapidly improve my photography and computer skills! Scary or what!! Deep breaths and one step at a time.

Twiggy said...

They are very beautiful, I like the colour you have used too - very Autumnal !!
Twiggy

Julie said...

You've got some great results Heather. This is a really versatile technique. Good luck with your Creative Sketchbooks course.

I'll post your doillies in a few days time. Got a busy week this week.

Jane said...

I'm sure you're going to love the sketchbook course Heather. I really like your prints with the layers, they are much more interesting.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am going to have a look at that site Heather to see if it appeals.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have had a look at Distant Stitch Heather and I really fancy having a go. I did C and G in design some years ago and started C and G embroidery but circumstances changed. I like the idea of the taster (on the wall) but wondered which one you were doing as it would be rather nice to do the same one so that we could exchange views. What do you think?

Val said...

You've achieved some gorgeous results Heather - beautiful shapes.
Look forward to seeing how your course goes - you'll have a whale of a time!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for the reply Heather. I think the course you are doing is too advanced for me (you have no idea of my awful drawing ability). So I have decided to do the starter free thing, starting in a few minutes when I colour the first two pages with a tea bag(!!!). Then when I have done the whole thing I am going to do the Embroidery Taster Module - on Sian's advice. Do keep in touch over it. I have just opened another blog weaverslearningcurve and shall post my results daily on there. Can you believe it the word verification is ansablab!!