Sunday 10 February 2013

Sunday, soggy Sunday.

I took these two photos a couple of days ago and have only just go round to posting them.   This cheeky little character stared me out for a few moments and then thought he'd better make himself scarce.
My husband designed and made these boxes with an aperture narrow enough to deter starlings from pinching all the nuts.  He keeps them topped up with crushed peanuts for those small birds which don't use the hanging nut feeders.  They keep the starlings out but nothing keeps the squirrels out.  They seem to be able to flatten their bodies to get inside.

I was hoping to walk round the garden to see what plants are developing but it is so wet and squelchy again. Our back lawn is on a slope and I don't fancy ending up on my backside in the mud.   The garden is quite small and I can see most of it from the windows anyway.  I hope it dries up soon as there are jobs which need to be done and they are beginning to mount up.   At least I am not a market gardener or farmer wondering how on earth I am going to make a living this year.

9 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I do wish we had squirrels here Heather - I bet you would be happy to get rid of yours - we rarely see one.
Everywhere here is wet again and today it is sleeting like mad. Still, we are only half way through winter so we can't expect miracles, can we?

Carol Q said...

you always manage to catch the wild life in action Heather. worrying isn't it all this rain? food costs will go up too.

Maggi said...

Soggy here too Heather. The squirrel certainly knows where to go to keep dry and fed.

Kat Mortensen said...

Great photos! I really miss my cheeky characters!

A said...

Squirrels are amazing in the worst way when it comes to these things. We've tried seemingly everything to keep them out of the birdseed and nothing has worked yet.

Julie said...

I think you're probably right about the squirrels rib cage. Mice have the same ability. We've got snow again today but it's melting rapidly. I will be glad when Spring arrives but like you I wonder what will happen to farming and food prices this year, the fields are sodden.

The Bug said...

That's hilarious :) Sorry you're so wet - hopefully things will dry out soon!

sharon young said...

What a naughty squirrel, they're unbelievably clever. Great pics. I really hope your garden dries up soon, ours is pretty boggy too, but managing a few jobs.

Robin Mac said...

I hope the rain has stopped by now Heather, we are having heavy showers at present and are very glad for them as our garden was getting surprisingly dry. I love the photos of the squirrel and I hope you are back in your garden again now. Cheers