Wednesday 17 July 2013

Summer Delights.

Since our son drastically shortened the main branches from our ornamental cherry tree, the crows love to perch up there having a good old nosy around.  I'm not sure if this is a hardworked parent bird or a youngster.

I was quietly panting indoors last evening when I heard the unmistakable sound of a hot air balloon burner and rushed outside.  At first I couldn't see one anywhere then looked up to see this lovely sight right above my head.    I haven't seen one for ages.  Our old labrador hated them and would bark ferociously at them with his hackles raised as he defended us from the invaders from the sky!

A new acquisition is just coming into flower - I love the colour.   It is called Dizzy Heights so I hope it doesn't live up to it's name too well or it could be difficult to cope with.
The summer jasmine is flowering it's socks off and smells so lovely.   The bees love it too, though they wouldn't keep still long enough for me to photograph them.
Those on the marjoram were more obliging and although it is now looking very straggly I can't bear to cut it until the bees have had their fill.
You can just spot another delight - that little wild strawberry on the left of the picture - halfway down.  It always amazes me how much wonderful flavour can be packed into such a tiny fruit.

I'd better go and do some watering.   Keep cool - it's lovely really!

7 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

"Dizzy Heights" is a stunner!

I love marjoram too. It's got such a nice sweetness to it. I think it is under-used.

We used to see all kinds of hot air balloons where used to live, but don't get them too much out here in the country.

Have you ever seen the film, "Enduring Love". A hot air balloon features in the story. Not as "lovely" as you might think.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Watering Heather - don't mention it.

Carol Q said...

lovely pics Heather. I do like to see the balloons coming over - it's usually the sign of a calm peaceful evening.

Ro Bruhn said...

It's lovely to see your garden in bloom, reminds me that spring is just around our corner, although yesterday it was 23 deg c which is amazing for the middle of winter.

The Bug said...

I love this look around your garden - it's bursting with beauty!

sharon young said...

What a lovely post, Heather, your pictures are so refreshing, makes me feel a bit cooler. I love the colour of your new rose.

Maggi said...

Lovely photos. My previous cat used to hiss and raise his hackles when the balloons came over, this one just couldn't care less!

Loving having a real summer again.