Wednesday 7 August 2013

Advice for costume makers!

My daughter, who can be seen in medieval costume on my previous post, came to borrow my floor to cut out another outfit.    This is her unorthodox way of finding out if she has sufficient fabric for the garment she has in mind!  Half the time she doesn't even have a pattern.  I do everything by the book plus a pattern and don't always get a good result, and the infuriating thing is that just about everything she makes in her free and easy fashion turns out really well.  It's enough to make you sick!

Here she is taking helpful advice from her trusty technical adviser.   If Poppy sits or lies on the fabric, then the garment or other item will be a success.    Years ago our cat was my adviser and if he slept on a piece of  my textile coursework I could usually rely on getting a distinction for it.

I am so pleased that the weather seems to be cooler and more comfortable.   I might even get some gardening done tomorrow.  I found the humidity of the past two days very hard going.

10 comments:

JustJules said...

Lovely pics!! And the dog told me the fabric I worked on after was not suited to trousers. She was right. And if you think it all turns out fine....just examine the stitching and see what I hide beneath an extra 'decorative' layer of cloth :D

sharon young said...

Oh to be young and care free again! But hats off to your daughter for confessing the hidden discrepancies. Wish I still had my old dog who spent his life advising me what to do.

Virginia said...

I have never thought about it before, but I think you're right! During my C&G I so often found the mislaid (and vital) sample was underneath the cat!

Heather said...

Don't give all your secrets away Jules - it's the final effect that counts!

The Weaver of Grass said...

This brought back memories for me Heather - years ago I used to play with an early music group - we played in costume at places like Warwick Castle. Those were the days.

The Bug said...

I love Jules & her assistant :)

Carol Q said...

I envy her Heather - I'm the same as you - always need a pattern. Nice to see your little friend back.

Robin Mac said...

Oh to be so carefree - I always had to have a pattern! I had to make the inside as neat as the outside also, my sister just sewed - and finished before I had barely started! Cheers

Julie said...

I do so admire people who can be so carefree in their dressmaking. A pattern and I are never very good friends. I hope you're enjoying the cooler temperatures in your garden Heather. x

Linda Vincent said...

Ha...love the second photo! What is it with animals... whenever I spread fabric on the floor (or a newspaper) Angel has to lie right in the middle of it :-)