Friday 28 November 2014

The Birds!


At last I have got down to some creative work again.   I have wanted to make a book featuring birds for some time, but not had the courage to try to draw them.  Today was the day and I am exhausted after drawing just four!   I thought it would be nice to celebrate all the species which we have seen in the garden and have compiled a list.   So far I have 22 different species on it - it could be quite a lengthy project.  Sorry about the shadows but it was quite dreary today and I had to put the light on.


The idea is to incorporate each little drawing into a collaged page.   The first one may look like this, unless I find some better bits and pieces to incorporate.  I intend to get rid of most of that rather stark white by using a sponge and some Distress Ink.  I will also add stitching here and there, and I quite like that strip of lace down the left hand side.  Collage is such an easy technique but I find it so hard to get it to look just right.   It will keep me occupied for hours.

Tomorrow I am off to the Glastonbury Frost Fayre with our youngest daughter and her husband.  I will take the camera and hope to have some interesting pics for my next post.

7 comments:

Ro Bruhn said...

Your drawings are really beautiful Heather, I love the way you're incorporating them into the collage.

Gina said...

Beautiful drawings Heather

sharon young said...

What beautiful drawings of the birds, and such a lovely idea for a book, looking forward to seeing how you progress this project.

The Weaver of Grass said...

What a super idea Heather, and what wonderful drawings. Keep us updated.
Look forward to photos of the Fayre too.

Charlton Stitcher said...

These are lovely simple little drawings. It'll be fascinating to see the final results of your stitching. Books are a great way of putting things together ...

Twiggy said...

Very beautiful, you are so talented.
Twiggy

Maggi said...

Beautiful drawings Heather. This book is going to be so good.