Saturday 28 March 2015

Tea for Two!

I wouldn't be surprised if these two tried to build a nest in this bird feeder.   In past years collared doves have reared two chicks on the bracket of our Sky dish.

There are plenty of signs of spring in the garden this week.  Everything is doing it's stuff and if you don't look too closely it's all looking lovely.

I love polyanthus and have planted quite a few all round the garden.
The birds often peck at the yellow ones - I think there must be something nutritional to them in the yellow petals, but these seem to have escaped their attention.

Year after year I have watched our big daffodils blown down into the mud so have switched my allegiance to the dwarf varieties which stand up to bad weather so much better.

More lovely hellebores - they are spreading really well now and having babies all over the place.

These Jerusalem Cowslips are a wonderful blue, slightly washed out by my camera.  The bees love them.

These little violas have been flowering their socks off since last October and cope with anything the weather throws at them.

Last week the first frogspawn appeared in the pond.  It was about the size of a clenched fist - now there is a huge mass, so there should be lots of little froglets this year.

We won't need any early calls if these two build a nest in this tree.  It is right beside our house and there will be a great deal of 'karking' going on.

We have had several beautiful days which would have been perfect for gardening, but my wretched leg is still painful and I don't want to make it worse.  I only look at the tidy bits and try to ignore the areas that are crying out for my attention.  I had a new hoe for my birthday and haven't been able to christen it yet.  All in good time.

7 comments:

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

Hello, I've just surfed as you do and landed in your flower border. I also prefer the dwarf daffs and have a display that grows each year. A cheery site in Spring. My Hellebores are not as floral this year. I don't know why and my primula are tiny. I do have a lovely display of primroses this year though.

sharon young said...

What a lovely colourful post, Heather, we've just had an awful day of black clouds and rain and woken up to another one this morning.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your garden with us.
I do hope your leg gets better soon.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely plants in your garden Heather - so much further on than ours. Interesting that you call Pulmonaria 'Jerusalem Cowslips' - up here it is called 'soldiers and sailors'.

Carol Q said...

your garden must be looking lovely Heather. You caught the birds at a lovely angle too. Hope you are well and happy spring!

The Bug said...

Pretty pretty! Still very cold here (we had snow flurries two days ago!). But as you say, all in good time...

Ro Bruhn said...

What beautiful flowers Heather, especially the daffodils. I hope your leg gets better quickly.

Robin Mac said...

Your garden is lovely Heather. One of the things I miss about living in the tropics is the lovely spring flowering season. I suppose I should be grateful that we can grow many things outside which would never survive in your part of the world.
I hope your leg gets better soon so you can Christen your new rake. Cheers