In this morning's post I received this beautiful initial H painted by my bloggy friend Gina Ferrari who has just taken a course in egg tempera painting. My photo doesn't do it justice - the light picks up the gold paint in the central area beautifully and it comes alive. Thankyou so much Gina - I hardly like to follow it with these paltry printing efforts.
I have at last tried out my Gelli plate and although I enjoyed myself, I can't say I'm very pleased with the results. I found it hard to control the texture of the paint and will have another go using acrylics from tubes. I think the paint I used for these was a little too wet.
I experimented with various rubber stamps and moulding mats which are quite good once you have found those that give the clearest images.
Above, I tried using the 6"square plate to fill a sheet of A4 paper. I sprayed it with a coppery craft ink but am not sure it has improved it, especially as the ink tended to come out in blobs rather than a fine mist.
I had been hoping to find some way of using this technique to make a lining for my bird book but in the end I decided that I wanted something fairly simple so drew a faint diagonal grid on a piece of fabric ironed onto freezer paper to stabilise it, and then drew the stylised leaves making a repeat pattern.
I stuck it down to the inside of the cover which you have already seen, and finished the edges off with buttonhole stitch.
As I had no soft fabric in which to hide the ends when I came to the end of a length of thread, I left 2 or 3 inches and tied a new length in, which gave me enough thread to hang beads in 3 or 4 places round the border of the cover.
There are two more beaded bits which loaded and then disappeared and I can't get them to load again. However, you get the idea. I have even managed to used some of my best beads. I seem to have been saving them for something and thought it was about time they came out of hiding.